The genuinely historic "Gauntlet Letter" is attached. (Marxmail does not handle
attachments but the letter can be read in full via the "A Piece of the
Scrapbook" link at the conclusion of this little narrative.)

Throwing down the gauntlet to the Mississippi power structure:  May 12, 1963.
I made the motion before a special meeting of the Mississippi  State Board of
NAACP Branches  -- of which I was the only non-Black member --  which sought
the broadening of the Jackson Boycott into a  massive   non-violent  protest
movement.  My motion was approved unanimously.   Following this,  Medgar Evers
and I went to my house at Tougaloo College and I then typed this individual
letter many times: to Governor Ross R. Barnett, Mayor Allen   C. Thompson, City
Commission, Bankers Association, Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Jackson
Association, Junior Chamber of Commerce, and the Mississippi Economic Council.
Medgar and I signed each letter at that point and he left for Jackson to get
Mrs. Doris Allison's signature.  The power structure, dominated by the powerful
White Citizens Council,  stonewalled.  It brought in thousands of (white) " law
enforcement officers " -- the many hundreds of Jackson city police, the
thousand member Jackson police auxiliary,  sheriffs and deputies and constables
from every one of Mississippi's 82 counties, the entire Mississippi Highway
Patrol, and finally the National Guard.  Turning the State Fairgrounds into a
gigantic concentration camp, these nefarious forces arrested several thousand
of our people. Repression was bloody.  Klan types poured into Jackson from the
entire region. Medgar was murdered, I was almost killed, and now -- decades
later -- Mrs. Doris Allison and I talk by phone at least once a week.  My
collected papers are held by the Mississippi State Department of Archives and
History (as well as at State Historical Society of Wisconsin) and I am a Life
Member of the august Mississippi State Historical Society.

(Mrs Doris Allison passed away several years ago.  Her good spouse, Ben, died
soon after. They remained staunchly committed to the struggle for a full
measure of human rights for all throughout the whole of their long lifetimes.
We miss them both very much. They are the Godparents of our grandson/son,
Thomas, and they will always remain so.   H.)

See these three consecutive pages:
http://hunterbear.org/a_piece_of__the_scrapbook.htm

HUNTER GRAY [HUNTER BEAR/JOHN R SALTER JR] Mi'kmaq /St. Francis
Abenaki/St. Regis Mohawk
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'
Member, National Writers Union AFL-CIO
www.hunterbear.org
(much social justice material)

I have always lived and worked in Borderlands.

See the Stormy Adoption of an Indian Child [My Father]:
http://hunterbear.org/James%20and%20Salter%20and%20Dad.htm
(expanded May 2012)

For the new, just out (11/2011) and expanded/updated
edition of my "Organizer's Book," JACKSON MISSISSIPPI --
with a new and substantial Introduction by me.  We are close upon
the 50th anniversary of the massive Jackson Movement of1962-63.:
http://hunterbear.org/jackson.htm

Personal Background Narrative (with many links):
http://hunterbear.org/narrative.htm