The "No job cuts" campaign at the University of Sydney has seen the biggest
mobilisation of staff in years writes Alma Torlakovic, the chair of the
campaign committee and one of the general staff of the university. The
experience we've had at Sydney University shows how quickly the mood among
workers can shift. From a place that's often been respectable and quiet, we've
seen a serious and defiant campaign emerge within a few short weeks. Union
membership grew as the campaign spread and new layers of members were involved
in activity. In a period where workers across the world are facing austerity
and attacks on their living standards, strong unions will need to be rebuilt
everywhere to face the coming challenges. The campaign at Sydney University has
been a step in the right direction.

See more  at:

http://enpassant.com.au/2012/05/17/fighting-job-cuts-at-sydney-uni-a-rank-and-file-perspective/