On 8/7/12 12:20 PM, Paul Flewers wrote:

Fair enough, but I wonder with some of our list members is whether
they wake up with the thought: 'Now how can I present sundry
jihadists, the Muslim Brotherhood and assistance from Saudi Arabia and
the big powers as not having a corrosive effect upon the anti-Assad
struggle?'

Is this a reference to Richard Seymour's reply to John Rees? Or perhaps Robin Yassin-Kassab's "Blanket Thinkers"? Oh, I think I know what it was, my crossposting of an interview with Bassam Haddad this morning that was filled with paean's to the Jihadists. So sorry. My bad.

Bassam Haddad:

"What a lot of the reporting I think has been ignoring, especially from the West, is that Syria is falling apart not just as a regime, but as a country. And that is actually the biggest tragedy that I think is being shoved aside, in favor of focusing on cliche-ish things such as dictatorship and democracy in a situation where even if the Assad regime falls we are looking at a very, very tough process of reconstructing the country.

"And certain parties benefit, and these are the parties we should actually look at, including conservative Arab states, some European states, and, of course, the United States."