Clay, you don't do yourself any favors with this argument. First, a national
congress is not a church. Second, when you go to speak at one of these
church/temple events you are (presumably) going as a guest in order to build
solidarity with people around some non-dress-related issue. Showing respect for
their customs is a simple way to show respect and solidarity when people are
under attack; only a sectarian would make an issue of that in circumstances
around a bigger fightback. This incident has nothing in common with that. And
finally, this is not about "dress codes," but about women's oppression.

Just because we support the Libyan revolution does not mean we support
everything that happens afterwards. We are tribunes of the oppressed before a
revolution, during a revolution, and after a revolution. The autocratic crust
of Gaddafi is gone--and good riddance. But that was stage 1. There are
reactionaries and charlatans who want to rule Libya for their own, wolves
stalking the newborn babe. Our task is to keep supporting the democratic
forces--the foot soldiers who made the overthrow of Gaddafi possible. We don't
do that by dismissing and washing our hands of attacks on women.

soli,
DCQ