On 8/15/12 9:54 AM, Andrew Pollack wrote:
So what's your gripe? And what does anything Michael wrote have to do with
Pham Binh's article?

The ongoing issue seems to be the quandary of where the FSA is supposed to get its weapons. Given the geopolitical realities, it is a foregone conclusion that it will not be from the BRIC/Axis of Good/Anti-imperialist/Former Soviet Union/Non-aligned countries/Che Guevara Appreciation Society.

There is a touch of unreality about the position, best articulated by John Rees, that the anti-Assad movement remain as pure as the driven snow while facing jets, armored helicopters, tanks, etc.

I suppose that one can hypothesize a 1917 type revolution in which the army turns against the ruling class (which has occurred to some extent) but you are not dealing with a movement led by Lenin. In fact it is led by nobody.

I think that the Rees article is meant more for domestic consumption in the English-speaking left. Except for the unfortunate and frequently ludicrous Angry Arab, there is little support for this posture. Just check jadaliyya.com on a regular basis for confirmation of that.