http://mondoweiss.net/2012/08/my-correspondence-with-nyts-rudoren.html

Dear Ms. Rudoren:

I am a retired 77 year old political science professor, still active in writing for both professional journals and the general reading public. My father was one of the generation of Russian Jews who escaped the pogroms and grew up in the lower East Side of NYC in the early 20th century. Growing up in New York in the 1940s-1950s I experienced plenty of anti-Semitism and was a passionate Zionist. In 1970, after serving three years as an anti-submarine warfare officer on a U.S. destroyer, I volunteered my services to the Israeli Navy in the event of war with Egypt (which had recently acquired four Soviet subs). In 1989 I was a Fulbright lecturer at Haifa University, and I have visited and lectured in Israel on many other occasions.

I trust these facts establish my Zionist credentials. However, for the last forty years I have specialized, both in my writing and teaching, in the Arab-Israeli conflict, and as a consequence I now regard Israel as a moral disaster--a betrayer of what we have long believed to be Jewish rationalism, enlightenment, and commitment to the highest values of civilization. It is a disgraceful state, and an increasingly ignorant and in many ways disgraceful society, a pariah state that fully deserves its pariah status. Aside from its moral evil, it is also insanely self-destructive, and it will be something of a miracle if it survives.

(clip)