On a visit to Madras (now Chennai) about 30 years ago, I came across a funny
incident. I and my colleague were having tea at a restaurant. Two European
women walked in and sat at the a table near us. The bearer approached them and
said, "Madame, would you like to have some snakes?" (I suppose he meant
snacks!). Visibly worried, the two women replied, "No! No! we don't eat snakes.
We want Indian food. We want 'idly'."
Idly is a very popular food item in Southern India. It is made out of a finely
ground paste of rice and black gram and steamed. It is eaten along with a soup
made of tamarind, vegetables and spices. A sauce made out of yellow gram and
coconut is also relished along with idly.
Many Indians do not eat meat, chicken or even eggs all their lives. It has
something to do with the caste system. Brahmins and a few other castes are
vegetarians.
Vegetarians come under the bottom section of the food pyramid whereas, meat
eaters go up the food chain. This imposes a burden on the ecosystem. I wonder
whether eating meat is a biological necessity in today's context. The hunter
gatherers of yore were meat eaters, but today, we can get our calories
comfortably from vegetarian produce. It is just a thought. No controversy.
Vijaya Kumar Marla