Tristan Sloughter <tristan.slough...@gmail.com> writes:

> No immediate injunction granted!
>
> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-teachers-union-meets-on-contract-today-20120916,0,4830609.story

Here is the statement from the CTU:

<http://www.ctunet.com/blog/chicago-teachers-continue-strike-as-mayor-cps-attempt-to-trample-free-speech-right-to-protest>

    Chicago teachers continue strike as Mayor, CPS attempt to trample free
    speech, right to protest
    09/17/2012

    Chicago teachers continue strike as Mayor, CPS attempt to trample free
    speech, right to protest

    CHICAGO - The Chicago Teachers Union released the following
    statement in response to a complaint filed by the Chicago Public
    Schools (CPS) to force public school teachers and other school
    personnel back to work six days after they went on strike over poor
    working conditions and fair compensation.

    "The Chicago Teachers Union is striking over mandatory subjects of
    bargaining such as compensation, evaluation procedures and the
    conditions within our classrooms. If this was an illegal strike the
    Chicago Public Schools would have sought injunctive relief on day
    one.  The law provides that if a strike is illegal only the labor
    board has jurisdiction to stop a strike. CPS has never filed any
    claim with the labor board that our strike is illegal," said CTU
    spokeswoman Stephanie Gadlin.

    "CPS' spur-of-the-moment decision to seek injunctive relief some six
    days later appears to be a vindictive act instigated by the mayor.
    This attempt to thwart our democratic process is consistent with
    Mayor Emanuel's bullying behavior toward public school educators. As
    teachers, paraprofessionals and clinicians continue to fight to make
    our city's public schools stronger, the mayor, CEO Brizard and
    members of the board want to trample our collective bargaining
    rights and hinder our freedom of speech and right to protest."

--
Craig Brozefsky <cr...@red-bean.com>
Premature reification is the root of all evil