On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Gary MacLennan
<gary.maclenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are comrades aware of anything written on the influence of Nietzsche on
> Schumpeter's thinking?  It seems to me that the latter's idea of the
> 'entrepreneur' has a whiff of the ubermensch about it.
> Grateful in advance

Here are my notes:

von Tunzelmann, G.N. 1995. Technology and Industrial Progress: The
Foundations of Economic Growth (Aldershot, UK: Edward Elgar).
78: Schumpeter's early idea of the heroic entrepreneur seems to have
been influenced by Nietzsche's superman.  Santarelli, E. and E.
Pesciarelli. 1990. "The Emergence of a Vision: The Development of
Schumpeter's Theory of Entrepreneurship." History of Political
Economy, 22, pp. 677-96.
Reinert, Hugo and Erik S. Reinert. 2006. "Nietzsche, Sombart,
Schumpeter, Creative Destruction." In Jurgen G. Backhaus and Wolfgang
J. M. Drechsler. 2006. Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900): Economy and
Society (New York: Springer Science): pp. 55-85.
58: The idea of regeneration goes back to the Egyptian Phoenix, but
regeneration is less than creative destruction.
59: Johann Gottfried Herder wrote a book, Despotismus des Orients,
which criticized Oriental despotism, although he was sympathetic to
Indian philosophy.  This interesting Indian philosophy filter down to
Schopenhauer and then from Schopenhauer to Nietzsche.
65: Nietzsche's Ubermensch is both the creator and a destroyer: "And
whoever must be a creator in good and evil, verily, he must first be
an annihilator and break values.  Thus, the highest evil belongs to
the highest goodness: but this is creative."
werner sombart coined the term "creative destruction."
72: Sombart, Werner. War and Capitalism: "again, however, from
destruction.  A new spirit of creation arises; the scarcity of wood
and the needs of everyday life . forced the discovery or invention of
substitutes for would, force the use of coal for heating, forced the
invention of Coke for the production of iron.  That these events,
however, made possible the enormous development of capitalism in the
19th century, is beyond doubt for any well-informed person.  Thus,
even here, in this decisive point, the invisible threads of commercial
and military interests appear closely intertwined."
72: After World War II, "The German tradition in economics ... came to
be represented solely by Marx and Schumpeter, a feature which made
these two economists seem much more unique than they in effect are
when seen in their own historical concept.  As we have already
mentioned, the Schumpeter assisted in this process, also by
systematically neglecting the philosophical foundations of German
economics in his History of Economic Analysis."
##
Santarelli, E. and E. Pesciarelli. 1990. "The Emergence of a Vision:
The Development of Schumpeter's Theory of Entrepreneurship." History
of Political Economy, 22, pp. 677-96.
689: "it is possible to argue that the overall `vision' of
Schumpeter's two early works has elements in common with the
philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche."  Both distinguished between the
leader and the herd.
691: "the separateness of the static and dynamic worlds on which
Schumpeter dwells at such length in [Schumpeter, 1908] springs from
the separateness of the two types of human being that the two worlds
underlie."
##

--
Michael Perelman