Lou P writes that 'New Syrian opposition leader unacceptable to American
imperialism', and then quotes: 'The new Syrian opposition leader doesn't
hesitate to stoke Muslims' fears of persecution at the hands of the West.
He posted on his website a flamboyant Dutch Radio report on the imminent
ethnic cleansing of Europe's Muslim minorities, based on statements by
right-wing  European figures and Rached Ghannouchi, the leader of the
Tunisia's Islamist Al-Nahda party, which is now a major partner in the
country's coalition government. Khatib is also a fan of Qatar-based
Egyptian televangelist cleric Yusuf al-Qaradawi. His website places
Qaradawi on equal footing with Tunisia's Mohamed Bouazizi, whose
self-immolation set off the Arab revolutions, and praised the Egyptian
preacher as "our great Imam." Qaradawi is a controversial figure who has
been denied entry to France and Britain for his support of suicide bombings
-- he has described such attacks, when used against Israel civilians, as
"evidence of God's justice." Given Qaradawi's Qatari connections, Khatib's
praise of the cleric may be an indication of where his loyalties lie.'

So what are we supposed to conclude from this? That the likes of Khatib are
a good thing?

The way I look at it, it's precisely because these sort of people are being
thrown up into leading positions that I am worried that the movement
against Assad is in danger of degenerating into a sectarian dead-end, and
that Assad's regime will be replaced by something resembling post-Saddam
Iraq.

Paul F