I do rather like the idea of Serb and Croat soldiers talking in their
identical languages via a translator; it has a wonderfully surreal feel to
it.

The idiocy doesn't stop there. Although Serbo-Croat was spoken in Serbia,
Croatia and Bosnia-Hercegovina -- albeit with, I believe, a different
dialect around Zagreb and another one on the Dalmatian coast -- there are
now three languages in the now-disintegrated Yugoslavia -- Serbian,
Croatian and Bosnian.

Furthermore, although Serbs in the past used the Cyrillic script, many
young Serbs these days use the Latin script that is used in Croatia and
Slovenia, thus making the splitting of one language into three even more
daft.

Paul F