My recollection is that the Leakey's provided most of the fossil
evidence that argues for the African origins of the human race in its
various qualitative leaps along the evolutionary line.  This is
accepted (outside Australia and China) as the best explanation for
what we have, included the DNA.  Yet, it remains one of those things
that can still get a rise out of many of those who just can't imagine
any personal connection to the continent at all.

Behind this, of course, is the scientific underpinnings of the
cultural nature and social construction of "race."

ML