SF/Bay Area:

Holt Labor Library (sameless plug since I work there!)
4444 Geary Blvd #207

City Lights Bookstore  founded and run by Lawrence Ferlinghetti and
could well be the U.S.' premier literary book shop.
On Columbus at Broadway

Modern Times Bookstore
2919 24th st
Located in the heart of the Mission District, take in the great murals
at nearby Cypress alley. This is a very old independent left boostore.

Bolerium Books:  Purveyor of old, antique books and periodicals. While
it has a huge collection of gay Victorian-era porn, it is known on the
Left as the go-too place for rare lefty books and periodicals. You
want to meet with John Durham, one of the owners. He gets there after
noon but will likely take you to lunch if your timing is right.
Amazing collection...the largest I've ever seen, of left books
anywhere. Two full rows of stuff on the Spanish Revolution. Seriously,
give youself a few hours of browsing time here. Also bring a credit
card.
2141 Mission St #300

David