Ralph Johansen wrote:

> I certainly don't know how this is all going to settle out, but what
> convinced me in reading Kliman's The Failure of Capitalist Production
> was that he seemed there to have established empirically the fall in the >
> rate of profit

The thing is, "the rate of profit" is not a statistical category that any
government measures.  You can't just go look up "the rate of profit" in the
Statistical Abstract of the United States or the Economic Report of the
President.

So instead, you need a method for calculating "the rate of profit" on the basis
of the available statistical material, and as Doug Henwood has pointed out
repeatedly, guys like Kliman arrange their calculations in such a way so that
the results end up "proving" the doctrinal shibboleth they aim to defend.

Here is an article by Doug that I think uses a sensible approach of dividing
profits of nonfinancial corporations according to the National Income and
Product Accounts from the Department of Commerce by the value of capital stock
from the Fed's flow of funds accounts.  As you can see, he comes to quite
different conclusions from those who see an inexorable fall in the rate of
profit:

http://lbo-news.com/2012/06/26/profitability-high-and-maybe-past-its-peak/