I mentioned a couple of days ago that son-in-law Cameron (Josie), his brother,
and a friend were planning to drive from here to North Dakota.  Cameron, a
Master electrician and a long-time IBEW member, planned to take the N.D.
Master's test at Bismarck this morning at 8:30 am. Jobs are scarce around here.
 His brother and the friend have been back and forth between Pocatello and
North Dakota doing stints of work connected with, but not consistently within,
the notorious "Oil Patch" where acute, super "boom town" social disorganization
has given it near infamy.

I suggested a few times, before they left early Sunday morning in a vehicle
with 4WD -- and that was cutting it rather short time-wise as it was, but they
drive much faster than I -- that they carefully check the weather.  We spent 16
years in North Dakota and we could see via the weather reports some very
ominous signs.  The storm was raging even as they entered Montana -- and
yesterday afternoon they were forced to take refuge at Glendive, Montana in the
eastern part of the state -- a very small town where they likely got the last
motel room available.  Interstate 90/94 is totally closed.  They'll reconnoiter
later this morning.  It's still snowing but beginning to taper off -- but high
winds will blow snow hard, some into drifts.  It will be at least a day, maybe
two, before the highway is even half-way passable.  They may wait it out or
return to Idaho.

Meanwhile the heavy snows in the Dakotas spell serious flooding in the rivers,
especially the Red River of the North -- which flows north to Winnipeg.
There's been heavy snow off and on in the Red region and in its tributaries in
South Dakota and Minnesota.  Fargo will be hit hard -- I look to John (oldest
son) to give us some reports on that.  North of Fargo could see even more
flooding -- and the relatively new huge and high dike at Grand Forks will be
severely tested. It is expected to hold. That was built several years after the
extremely disastrous flood of '97 which wrecked almost all of Grand Forks and
East Grand Forks and drove over 60,000 or so residents into the North Dakota
and Minnesota hinterland, neighboring states, and Canadian provinces.  (I've
recounted several times how, after having recurrent "feelings" about the Red, I
moved our family in 1991 well to the west of town.  Friends were puzzled and
enemies jeered.  When the Flood came in April, it missed us by only 300 yards.
We stayed around to help out as best we could -- and then came here to Idaho
later that summer of '97.)

A basic component of every Native tribal culture -- and, I'm sure, that of
other tribes and also many non-tribal rural folk, is that, "You can't fight
Nature and win."

So, when the weather signs and intuition tell us to "hole up" for a time, we do
just that.  The only thing that will bring me out are emergencies involving
people who seek my assistance.  I've recounted before how, when much a Teen,
and sensing snow in the middle of a late November night, I left my hunting camp
on the Sycamore rim and got back to Flagstaff even as snow was falling.  The
next afternoon, a desperate Air Force colonel from Tucson, who, with his friend
I had met when I was on Woody Mountain Fire Lookout the previous summer -- they
were planning to hunt elk in the fall -- came to our door.  They were snowed in
at remote Harding Point and his friend had had a heart attack. He had walked
out, finally caught a ride into Flag.  City hunters were stranded all over and
official agencies couldn't help him.  We left early the next morning in my
trusty Model A Ford -- I tied ropes through the wheel spokes to serve as
chains.  With, I am sure, the support of Good Spirits, we broke trail through
the heavy snow on a trace of a road, got the colonel and his friend and their
pickup out, and finally back to Flagstaff to the hospital.  The friend made it
OK.  More than a dozen big city hunters died in the Northern Arizona woods on
that one.

Years later, our family was snug at home in Iowa City with a ranging storm
outside.  Shortly after midnight a desperate phone call came from Cedar Rapids,
about 35 miles north, from a young Meskwaki woman and student of mine at the
University of Iowa.  She and a friend, also a Meskwaki and a law student, had
been in a car wreck and, while she was OK, her friend was in the hospital.  I
drove through the blizzard, met them in the hospital room, and took her back to
Iowa City.  Again, I credit Good Spirits on that one.  The wife of a professor
friend of mine had been killed in an accident on that very highway a year
before by a Semi.

There've been other instances where I've risked for good causes. And sometimes
I've gotten the last motel in a town.  But we basically follow the example my
Native father consistently set and expressed when I was little and we traveled
much, often in isolated and rural snow country.  "If your inner feelings tell
you to stop and wait it out, do just that.  Don't fight it unless you
absolutely have to."

And, yes, I do see climate change/global warming playing a key role in many of
these recent and contemporary Extremes.

H.

HUNTER GRAY [HUNTER BEAR/JOHN R SALTER JR] Mi'kmaq /St. Francis
Abenaki/St. Regis Mohawk
Member, National Writers Union AFL-CIO
www.hunterbear.org  (social justice)

See the new expanded/updated edition of my "ORGANIZER'S
BOOK." It's the inside story of the rise of the massive Jackson
Movement -- careful grassroots organizing, bloody repression, sell-out
and more.  It also covers other organizing campaigns of mine through
 the decades since Mississippi. It's replete with grass-roots organizing
examples and "lessons."  And it has my new 10,000 word
introduction.  Among a myriad of positive comments and reviews:
 ". . .a local activist's important account of the deleterious effects
the involvement  of national organizations can have on indigenous
protest movements."  (Historian David Garrow.)
http://hunterbear.org/jackson.htm

See the related:  http://crmvet.org/comm/hunter1.htm

Stormy Adoption of an Indian Child [My Father]:
http://hunterbear.org/James%20and%20Salter%20and%20Dad.htm