This is huge. You couldn't have asked for a more thorough, honest and
damning critique of the ANC's policies.

And I have to say that the timing is fortuitous, even if for unfortunate
personal reasons.

Nelson Mandela is once again in dire physical straits. We can be sure that
his passing, whenever it happens, will be greeted by 99% of the younger
activists with completely uncritical praise for his role in abolishing
formal apartheid, that almost none of them will have any clue of the
history and politics Kasril details.

There are other accounts of the same process -- by John Saul, Patrick Bond,
Ashwin Desai, etc. And the editors of Amandla (which Kasrils links to via
the comment on Terreblanche's book) share this critique.

But no-one of Kasrils' insider status has yet written anything like this to
my knowledge.

So we can share this with the youth -- when, of course, it will not seem
offensive to those still grieving.

Andy P.