On 7/12/13 7:50 AM, Ron Jacobs wrote:

http://stillhomeron.blogspot.com/2013/07/was-that-really-antiwar-movement-look.html

In my opinion, it is virtually impossible to oppose the machinery of US imperialism without an anti-imperialist understanding of the US role in the world. Any other approach limits the success and the goals of any antiwar movement.

---

Actually the millions of people who took part in the Moratorium protests against the war in Vietnam in 1969 had virtually no understanding of imperialism. They were tired of the killing and a typical activity consisted of walking down the main street of some small town carrying a candle. But it was the sheer force of the mass action that finally began to turn the tide against the war-makers.

Back in 1967 when I was about to join the SWP, I was also in touch with the Progressive Labor Party through a Bard graduate who was at the New School with me who was in their periphery. His favorite mantra was about the need for "an anti-imperialist anti-war movement" being carried out by the PL wing of SDS. The anti-PL wing had at this point given up on mass actions. PL was for demonstrations but only if they were organized around "radical" demands that supposedly made the connection that the USA was an imperialist power. They never produced the kinds of numbers that could have an impact on the war but they did bring some impatient students around PL.