On 7/12/13 7:50 AM, Ron Jacobs wrote:

http://stillhomeron.blogspot.com/2013/07/was-that-really-antiwar-movement-look.html

In my opinion, it is virtually impossible to oppose the machinery of US
imperialism without an anti-imperialist understanding of the US role in
the world. Any other approach limits the success and the goals of any
antiwar movement.

---
In response, Louis P wrote:

Actually the millions of people who took part in the Moratorium protests
against the war in Vietnam in 1969 had virtually no understanding of
imperialism. They were tired of the killing and a typical activity
consisted of walking down the main street of some small town carrying a
candle. But it was the sheer force of the mass action that finally began
to turn the tide against the war-makers.

 On the Militant newspaper website (just updated), there are several
letters complaining about the lack of antiwar coverage:

http://www.themilitant.com/2001/6542/654235.html

Party leader Jack Willey answers them with an article that claims
that the SWP's fight is against "imperialism" and not the war:

http://www.themilitant.com/2001/6542/654236.html

How said it is to hear these sorts of ultraleft arguments in a time
of such deep crisis.

Ron responds:

The antiwar movement essentially rejected the
anti-imperialist analysis in favor of a mass movement that was sick of
Bush, but
refused to see that it was the imperial system that guarantees wars will
occur
over and over.  Perhaps if the much larger antiwar movement against the war
in Vietnam had
worked harder to create an understanding of imperialism instead of
minimizing that part of the movement,
things might have been different. My conclusion differs from Louis in that
I think we must create an understanding
of why the US military does what it does.  That entails discussing
imperialism and building a movement
against it.  Then our goals could be grander than the Obama-compromise we
ended up with this time
around.