http://www.juancole.com/2013/07/bankruptcy-americas-globalization.html
Juan Cole: While other cities have avoided Detroit’s extreme fate, I think
the nation as a whole faces some of the intractable problems that the city
does, and I don’t think we have a solution for them... It seems to me that
we need to abandon capitalism as production becomes detached from human
labor. I think all robot labor should be nationalized and put in the public
sector, and all citizens should receive a basic stipend from it. Then, if
robots make an automobile, the profits will not go solely to a corporation
that owns the robots, but rather to all the citizens. It wouldn’t be
practical anyway for the robots to be making things for unemployed,
penniless humans. Perhaps we need a 21st century version of ‘from all
according to their abilities, to all according to their needs.’