The game's afoot againnow that Kliman and team have accused Michael Heinrich of attacking Marx's Capital("The Unmaking of Marx's 'Capital': Heinrich's Attempt to Eliminate Marx's Crisis Theory"). It's a curious game because Kliman et al have created a particular avatar to represent Marx's Capital through their single-system reading (TSSI) of Capital and then have proceeded to substitute that earthly presence for Capital in all their work. It seems to generate interesting and fruitful results, and that is to be lauded. Nevertheless, as I commented here earlier (13 May 2013), 'for me, it is not consistent with Marx (however inventive its mathematical and empirical exercises may be). However, if the practitioners of TSSI were to demonstrate their consistency with Marx's distinction between form and essence [as in 'the price of production is already a completely externalized and /prima facie/ irrational form of commodity value, a form that appears in competition' and profit is a 'transformed form of surplus value, a form in which its origin and the secret of its existence are veiled and obliterated'], I might think differently.' In effect, the TSSI practitioners place the category 'Fruit' and the peach pit on the same level and then choreograph their dance. Now, as devotees of the so-called 'transformation problem' will recognise, they are not at all alone in this. What makes them unique, though, is that Kliman et al then proceed to substitute their avatar for the original 'deity', Capital, in all their discussions. Thus, if they can demonstrate the consistency of their avatar with a conclusion of Marx, they announce-- Marx was right! And, if someone is critical of some of their conclusions, they announce that Marx is under attack. Such substitutionism is familiar: we have seen it displayed dramatically recently in a political organisation which substituted its own practice for 'Leninism' and then announced that any criticism of its practice was an attack on 'Leninism'.

In contrast, Heinrich does offer a reading of Marx far more sensitive to what Marx actually wrote--- what has now been labelled a 'philological' exercise. In my view, his recent Monthly Review Press introduction to Capital offers the best understanding of what Marx was doing, and I would assign it to my classes in Marxian economics (if I were still peddling my wares in classrooms). Heinrich's failing, on the other hand, is his lack of economic analysis of those texts. Thus, in his recent Monthly Review article on the 'law' of the tendency of the rate of profit to fall, he stresses the post-1870s drafts of Marx as the basis of his ultimate conclusion that Marx would have abandoned the 'law' [and indeed did]. However, aside from the meaning of 'law' [which, as Lenin understood, never leaves the sphere of appearance], the unique condition necessary for the rate of profit to fall was already set out by Marx in the Grundrisse, amplified extensively in the 1861-3 Mss and noted in Vol.3 of Capital as constructed by Engels--- and the sensitivity of that condition to relative rates of productivity increase can be demonstrated analytically. Similarly (although less germane to the immediate issues), Heinrich is prepared to conclude from the texts that there was no missing book on 'wage-labour' but doesn't consider the implications of removing the assumption of the given level of necessity upon the economic results [including the basis for relative surplus value]. Through pure philology, we are left with a reproduced artifact but not much to work with. It is an important starting point but if it is the endpoint, it is a deadend.
       michael

--
Michael A. Lebowitz