I have just posted this very very rough first draft on SSRN. The link gets you
to a page where you can download the paper.

In the article I look at the recent history of proposals to tax resource rents
in Australia, from Australia's Future Tax System Report (the 'Henry Tax
Review') through to the proposed Resource Super Profits Tax ('RSPT') and then
the Minerals Resource Rent Tax ('MRRT'). The process of change from Henry to
the RSPT to the MRRT can best be understood, not just in the context of bad
design, but, building on the work of Bramble and Kuhn, in the context of the
Australian Labour Party as a capitalist workers' party. I argue that it is this
tension in the ALP, the shift in its internal balance further towards capital
and the lack of class struggle that has seen Labor preside over a flawed tax, a
tax that has been described by Ross Garnaut as 'problematic' and which has so
far raised little revenue from the economic rent of iron ore and coal mining
companies.