Back in 2002 I wrote a harsh review of the biopic “Frida” that I wish I could have recalled in mid-air. Unfortunately, Internet postings and Ronald Reagan’s ICBM’s are not subject to such intervention. I am afraid that my review might have been as destructive as a guided missile for those who put hard work into making the film, especially the screenwriter Clancy Sigal who defended his work on the film in an email to me. After reading Peter Biskind’s “Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance, and the Rise of Independent Film”, a massive (544 pages) and brilliant take-down of Harvey Weinstein, I wonder now to what extent the Miramax boss’s meddling impacted the film that I saw. I had read Biskind’s book as background for an article on Miramax for a new Marxist journal. That article is forthcoming but I could not resist saying a few words now just on the Harvey Weinstein-Frida Kahlo brouhaha. It is enough to turn you into a revolutionary, if you weren’t one already.

full: http://louisproyect.org/2013/08/09/harvey-weinstein-versus-frida-kahlo/