On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 11:48:58 -0400 Louis Proyect <l...@panix.com> writes:

> (I thought I was well-versed on Jewish history, but this is a new
> one on
> me. Fascinating stuff.)
>
> NY Times September 4, 2013
> New Generation of Jewish Sect Takes Up Struggle to Protect Place in

Wikipedia has an interesting article on the Crimean Karaites.  Back in
the 19th century, their leaders convinced the czarist government that
they were really of Turkic origins and so had been around before the time
of Jesus and so could not be held responsible for the death of Christ
like other Jews.  This led the czarist regime to free them from most of
the disabilities that were imposed on most Jews.  In the 20th century,
they were similarly able to convince the Nazis that they were not of
Semitic origin, thereby sparing themselves of most of the oppression that
the Nazis inflicted on other Jews,

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant
www.foxymath.com
Learn or Review Basic Math
One Weird Trick
Could add $1,000s to Your Social Security Checks! See if you Qualify&#8230
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/522928348907728347c1ast04vuc