Why don't they put that in the subways instead of the  poems that are
usually up there? This is the one I read today and I feel like either I am
missing something or this is just a "Oh, my salad days" reminiscence and
fails to capture the essence of being hungry and poor?

The Good Life
BY TRACY K. SMITH <http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/tracy-k-smith>
When some people talk about money
They speak as if it were a mysterious lover
Who went out to buy milk and never
Came back, and it makes me nostalgic
For the years I lived on coffee and bread,
Hungry all the time, walking to work on payday
Like a woman journeying for water
>From a village without a well, then living
One or two nights like everyone else
On roast chicken and red wine.