My totally and really truly scientific theory is that it isn't possible to
travel backwards in time to a point before the first time machine becomes
active.

That is, we don't see time travellers because time travel hasn't been invented
yet.

The corollary to that is that time travel to the future beyond the point when
the last time machine goes offline is only possible at the 1 second per second
rate.

OK, it's no more sensible than anything else, but at least it explains one
thing.

Obviously I'm not serious.

Another suggestion I sometimes use to troll certain kinds of Christian with is
to suggest that Jesus was basically just another hillbilly preacher who only
became a threat because of the swarms of time travelling Evangelical nutcases
he attracted. In other words, they were the reason why he was crucified. And
that explains what happened to his body too.

For some reason they tend not to be amused by this.

Scarves and blue boxes help, though.