Hi Richard

This is interesting stuff. I have just started a reading group for
'Capital' in which Marx's knowledge of science is clearly 19th century and
the analogies don't work the way he intends.

I know its a huge field but any ideas for where to start for the average
non-scientist? So was your lecture recorded? or a bit more of your take on
all this would be interesting.

Cheers

Shane

------------------------------
 <lnp3%40panix.com>

   - *Subject*: Re: [Marxism] "Marx for Millennials"
   - *From*: "Levins, Richard" <human...@hsph.harvard.edu>

The resurgent interest in Marxism is not limited to political economy.
Concerns about the resurgence of infectious disease, the horrid pollution
from the energy industry, the invasion of agriculture by the giant pharma
companies, the spread of organic agriculture and alliance with peasant
movements, climate change, the precarious status of scientists as laborers
in the knowledge industries, the growing awareness of the metabolic rift
between city and countryside, the publications with a slant toward marxist
perspectives on ecology, all indicate a willingness to look critically at
the way science is organized and carried out under advanced capitalism. The
pattern of error in science and technology has made the scientific
community aware of the need for a more complex approach to world problems
than can be provided by the dominant reductionism. Journals, symposia, even
whole institutes call for complexity but don't quite make it. A few weeks
ago some 500 students and faculty turned out at the national university in
Mexico to here me lecturer on "the threshold of complexity" from a Marxist
point of view. And in April, there will be a major conference of Science
for the People at U. Mass Amherst that brings together veterans of the old
SftP with a new cohort.(Connect with sig...@umass.edu). The Marxist view
that communists are internationalists who look out for the movement as a
whole is expanding the scope of our activism and our thinking about it.