Thanks, that article is very useful in understanding the technology.

Meanwhile here's a brand new article which focuses more on why the regime
might be using barrel bombs, and whether that's instead of in addition to
conventional bombs:

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2013/Dec-24/242165-regimes-latest-weapon-simple-but-deadly.ashx#axzz2oPedP32U

The article, like most I found by googling, quotes Brown Moses extensively.
Good work!