Powerful Shit--- read it and then see the video!
jasiri x: Why I Wrote the Song "Checkpoint" and Exposed the Apartheid I Witnessed in Palestine <http://groups.google.com/group/sid-l/t/4f122ea949b68797>

*http://www.blackyouthproject.com/2014/01/why-i-wrote-the-song-checkpoint-and-exposed-the-apartheid-i-witnessed-in-palestine/

<http://www.blackyouthproject.com/2014/01/why-i-wrote-the-song-checkpoint-and-exposed-the-apartheid-i-witnessed-in-palestine/>*
   *Black Youth Project January 29, 2014*
   Why I Wrote the Song "Checkpoint" and Exposed the Apartheid I
   Witnessed in
   Palestine

   *By jasiri x <http://www.blackyouthproject.com/author/jasiri-x>*

   *Israeli soldiers checking my passport at a checkpoint in Hebron *

   *Checkpoint video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq6Y6LSjulU
   <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq6Y6LSjulU>*

   I honestly had no intention on writing a song based on the trip I
   took to
   Palestine and Israel recently as part of a delegation of
   African-American
   activists and artists, sponsored by the Carter Center. I'm still
   having a
   difficult time processing what I witnessed. I spent much of the trip
   trying
   to get my head around how one group of human beings could be so
   inhumane to
   another group of human beings. I still can't understand. By day 4 of
   our 7
   day trip I wanted to come home. The mental intensity of what I

saw<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151835834291681&set=pb.696031680.-2207520000.1391027370.&type=3&theater>that
   the brutality of the stories
   I heard

<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151840206561681&set=pb.696031680.-2207520000.1391027355.&type=3&theater>had
   taken a toll on me to the point where I had

enough<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151840657121681&set=pb.696031680.-2207520000.1391027355.&type=3&theater>
   .

   In one of the few light moments of the trip writer and filmmaker Dream
   Hampton joked that I would have a song and video out a few days after we
   landed in the United States, because I'm known for doing topical
   videos in
   a short period of time. I remember laughing and telling her my only plan
   when I got home was to rest, but Dream got the last laugh. Her
   suggestion
   actually caused me to think, if I did a song what would it sound
   like and
   how would the video look? And, although I had taken hundreds of
   pictures,
   the only places I recorded video were the checkpoints.

   We as a group decided to walk through the infamous Qalandia checkpoint
   because our guide, who was Palestinian, could not ride through the
   checkpoint with us. Even though she had a permit and a passport, because
   she was Palestinian, she had to walk through the checkpoint on foot. I
   decided to record this journey, not because I had the idea to shoot a
   video, but because of the ridiculous amount of Israeli soldiers with
   machine guns surrounding the checkpoint. Being a victim of Stop and
   Frisk
   in places like New York City, I have gotten in the habit of
   videotaping any
   encounter with those in "authority" when I think there could be
   danger . In
   this particular situation, I thought it was best for the safety of our
   guide and our delegation.

   When we were stopped at a checkpoint in Hebron, I began recording again,
   and I also was recording when armed Israeli soldiers boarded our van to
   check everyones passport and visa. Realizing the checkpoint footage
   was the
   only video I had, I started to conceptualize the song "Checkpoint".
   I felt
   like checkpoint really summed up the apartheid conditions I witnessed in
   Palestine. That's why the first line of the song I wrote was, "If Martin
   Luther King had a dream of the checkpoint, he'd wake with loud
   screams from
   the scenes at the checkpoint". I truly believe if Dr. King was alive and
   saw the discrimination and oppression we saw, he would breakdown and
   cry.

   At that point all that was left for me to do was find a beat that
   captured
   the emotional intensity of walking through a prison like checkpoint
   guarded
   by heavily armed soldiers. Thankfully, I had a beat from Agent of
   Change,
   who is producing the album I'm currently working on called P.O.W.E.R.
   (People Oppressed Will Eventually Rise).

   Looking back on the trip, I'm thankful I was able to go and see the
   occupation of Palestine firsthand. I thought I knew what was going
   on, but
   I had no idea. I believe everyone who is able to should go and see for
   themselves the colonialism our tax dollars are funding. I remain
   inspired
   by the resistance of the Israeli, Palestinian, and African organizers we
   met. I hope my song and video helps contribute to the growing movement
   of Boycotts,
   Divestment, and Sanctions <http://www.bdsmovement.net/> against Israel.
   When asked about my trip on Twitter I responded, the people are
   beautiful,
   but their reality is heartbreaking. The truth must be told.
   *Video: **In Levinsky Park http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB287v66QFk
   <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB287v66QFk> (subtitled)*

--
Michael A. Lebowitz