Paul is 100% right about the need to factor in the changed demographics.
(Plus there's the question of the Crimean Tatars.)

But the reason I keep referring to those articles (and several others by
Trotsky which I have in a list) is for his METHOD.

For instance, in the same general period Trotsky was explaining how defense
of Finnish independence was a red herring used by those wanting to abandon
defense of the Soviet Union. Yet at the same time he was insisting on the
fight for an independent Soviet Ukraine EVEN if it momentarily weakened
defense of the Soviet Union, because in the long run politically it was
essential for that defense.

This is the same method used by Lenin in looking at Serbia vis-a-vis
Austria, i.e. the two different contexts for judging its fight.