I'm not saying this is the first time social conditions were acknowledged
as causative or contributory factors to mass mortality from the plague. I'm
saying the new findings on the means of transmission potentially shed a
slightly different light on who died when and how. Perhaps more of the
sickly poor were more susceptible to the plague because it was airborne and
not spread by rats, Perhaps also that says something about the plague's
dissipation as well.
Remember that there were many different studies on causes, transmission
rates, likely carriers/sufferers etc. of AIDS. Even though all the
reputable studies agreed on the basics, the nuances were important for our
understanding.