> One of the darkest pages in Soviet and indeed Russian history was the
> anti-cosmopolitan campaign Stalin unleashed against everything Western in
> 1949, a campaign that ultimately focused on the Jews whom the Soviet dictator
> was planning to deport beyond the Urals at the time of his death.

My understanding is that the deportation claim is a myth. I asked a leftist
Russian friend of mine who emailed me that in 2002 and 2003 a well known
anti-Soviet scholar, Gennadii Kostyrchenko, published essays disproving the
myth. The author is very anti-Stalin and the essays caused quite a stir, but
haven’t been refuted.

I don’t speak Russian, but for anyone who does, these are the citations my
friend sent me:

Gennadii Kostyrchenko. "Massovaia vysylka evreev. Proshchanie s mifom
stalinskoi epokhi." _Lekhaim_ No. 22 (September, 2002).

G.K., "Deportatsiia - Mistifikatsiia." _Otechestvennaia istoriia_ 1 (2003).

Even without speaking Russian, the title of the last essay is clear.

Glenn