On 26.05.2014 18:40, Michael Smith via Marxism wrote:
On May 26, 2014, at 12:33 PM, Richard Fidler <rfidle...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Actually, Michael, in Latin it is Cartago delenda est. No "th" in Latin, and
cities are feminine, hence "delenda".
Of course it is, because as you correctly note, 'Carthago' is feminine;
but Zizek, presumably, is not. Hence he is delendus rather than
delenda.

As for 'no th in Latin', I suggest a quick look at L&S or OLD.
'Cart(h)ago' is of course not a native Latin word.
My memory from my Latin lessons is that the word order was: "Delenda est Carthago" - I believe that "th" was used in classical Latin to represent the sound of the Greek letter "theta", which was similar to the voiceless "th" sound in English.

And Zizek would definitely merit a "delendus"!

Einde
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu