The great hoop-lah about this 70th anniversary is certainly rank hypocrisy,
particularly for a country that's embraced the fundamental assumptions of
totalitarian government and behavior.

As materialists, we should see events as innately contradictory and not
pretend that we can parse out these contradictions and look at an event as
something as simplistic and straightforward.   But it's a kind of instant
postmodernist response, isn't it?

We just saw that with the American Revolution.  So, now, with D-Day.

It denies none of those contradictions to see the Normandy Landing or the
Allied defeat of the Axis as having a dynamic that certainly fueled the
civil rights movement and the promise of peace that contributed to keeping
the Cold War from getting really crazy and ultimately led to a revolt
against its assumptions in the West.

ML
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu