Out of Time. The Pleasures and Perils of Ageing. Lynne Segal. Verso.“In front
of the vacant Mausoleum of the First Leader an old woman stood alone. She wore
a woollen scarf wrapped round a woollen hat, and both were soaked. In
outstretched fists she held a small framed print of V.I.Lenin. Rain bubbled the
image, but his indelible face pursued each passer-by. Occasionally, a committed
drunk or some chattering thrush of a student would shout across at the old
woman, at the thin light veering off the wet glass. But whatever the words, she
stood her ground, and she remained silent.”The Porcupine. Julian Barnes. (1992)
In Making Trouble (2007) Lynne Segal asked what become of the ‘dangerous’ young
radicals as they age. For her it was the “bonds we forged in collective efforts
not just to wrestle with the world, but also to try to change it which, for a
while at least, gave us our strongest sense of ourselves” that would indelibly
mark how people develop. How this sense of the self both changes and endures
over time is one of the most fundamental aspects of being human. As Segal
suggests in Out of Time our “collective” actions mark the process of ageing
with great weight. Ageing cannot be caged in the individual’s own life, still
less mastered through self-help manuals.
One of the contributors to the influential Beyond the Fragments (1980), which
brought a libertarian rush of personal feelings into left politics, in Out of
Time Lynne Segal relates her private experience of ageing to the world beyond
the Self. From her own life, “literary and political, of the women’s movement
as an activist, a scholar, a teacher and a writer”, she reaches out to explore
multiple physical, physical and social aspects of ageing. Novels, psychology,
paintings, the philosophy of personal identity over time, and the sociology and
politics of the increasing numbers of the elderly, are employed to mark out a
stunning and thought-provoking book.

More:
http://tendancecoatesy.wordpress.com/2014/09/05/out-of-time-the-pleasures-and-perils-of-ageing-lynne-segal-a-review/
Andrew Coates