on Mittwoch, 10. September 2014 at 23:39, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:

> I thought it might have been in Trotsky's "History of the Russian
> Revolution" but I couldn't turn anything up. Basically I am looking for
> an analysis that attributes ruling class "stupidity" (like Czar Nicholas
> in 1917) not to low IQ or inbreeding, etc. but a function of deep
> insoluble crisis that makes just about any response look feckless and
> ill-advised.

  I don't know if there is one single poignant phrase, but the three chapters
? Tsar and Tsarina
? The idea of a palace revolution
? The agony of the monarchy

  provide alltogether the analysis which you mean.

  The chapter titles are my translation from German, and I don't know if the
English edition of the work uses the same division in chapters. Those quoted
are chapters 4 to 6 in the German edition.

Cheers,
Lüko Willms

Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu