Louis, I was focusing on the implications of Baptist's work for Genovese's.

Jesse

----- Original Message ----- From: "Louis Proyect" <l...@panix.com> To: "Jesse Lemisch" <jesse.lemi...@verizon.net>; "Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition" <marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu>
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2014 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Marxism] [Pen-l] Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism

On 10/5/14 2:41 PM, Jesse Lemisch via Marxism wrote:

Baptist is not only at odds with Post but also, I would think, at odds
with Geoovese.

Jesse Lemisch

Well, Post offers a critique of Genovese but not one that is very convincing. Ultimately both come up with a "stagist" conception in which American slavery is replaced by capitalism. In some ways it is understandable that a Brennerite framework would lead to this overlapping because the original debate between Sweezy and Dobb involved the British Historians Group mobilizing against Sweezy. Hobsbawm, to name just one, crystallized a "stagist" approach that had a long history in CP circles. Brenner would be the first to disavow any connections with the Dobb group but there is just too much similarity to be ignored. I am very happy to see the pendulum swinging against the Brennerites on the civil war. I only wish that Jim Blaut was still alive to be relishing it.

Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu