Despite his enduring film industry success, Leigh has no time for Hollywood, and he is dismissive of the franchise-milking directors working for the major studios. “They are motivated by insecurity, fear, lack of imagination and above all, a lack of flair,” he said.

For Leigh, it would be impossible to make his intimate, searing, and deeply funny films with the shadow of studio executives looming over his creations. “We don’t have committees of people on the set crowding around the monitor after every take and arguing the toss. They don’t bugger about with the editing. We don’t get people making us re-cut the film and get a more sexy or commercial ending or all that stuff,” he said.

full: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/14/mike-leigh-is-the-master-filmmaker-who-hates-hollywood.html
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu