#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Com. Duane,
                      I think you had sent a private message. Because there is
nothing private about the message, I am forwarding it to marxmail, with my
response. Pardon me for doing it, without your permission.
Many of the artists - poets, actors (Raj kapoor, Dev Anand etc., Dilip Kumar)
were from the Pakistani region and settled in Bombay at the time of division of
India into Pakistan and India. So naturally, early Indian films were mostly in
Urdu.
Contrary to what you had expressed, Urdu was not encouraged by the British
colonial rulers. The imposed English on Indians.

Urdu is a language spoken by the people of undivided North-West India and can
not be identified with a particular religion.
But the word Urdu is derived from the same Turkic word ordu (army) that has
given English horde. (Urdu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It is also said
that the origin of the word "Urdu" is from "Urta", meaning 'tent' in Central
Asia. The Moghuls are of Central Asian origin, and when they occupied the
regions north of Delhi in the 11th and 12th centuries, the invading armies were
speaking Persian and Central Asian languages and the locals were spaeking a
proto-Hindi which descended from Prakrit and Sanskrit. A new language evolved
in the process, Hindusthani or the language of India. The language spoken by
most of the people of Northern India (Except ofcourse, Bengal, Gujarat and
maharashtra and some other regions) was called Hindi and in the North-West, it
is Urdu. Urdu was the official language of the Mughal Rulers.

Urdu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Urdu (/ˈʊərduː/; Urdu: اُردُو‎ ALA-LC: Urdū; IPA: [ˈʊrd̪uː] ( listen)), or more
precisely Modern Standard Urdu, is a standardized register of the Hindustani
languag...
View on en.wikipedia.org Preview by Yahoo

Even today, most of top actors of Bollywood are muslims (Shahrukh Khan, Salmaan
Khan, Aamir Khan among others), but Indian film industry remains free from
religious fundamentalism and projects religious harmony and brotherhood.
Anyway, language has no religion and Urdu is our Indian language, and we are
proud of it. Though my mother tongue is Telugu and I also speak Hindi, besides
English, I had cultivated  a bit of Urdu from many of my muslim friends and we
together enjoy Urdu poetry occassionally.
Urdu is a beautiful language, highly expressive and poetic. Words in Urdu
carry deep magical meanings and may be that is the reason why Urdu
poetry is so enchanting.
Vijaya Kumar Marla