#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

One watershed event omitted from Cohen's piece is the teachers' strike in Ocean
Hill-Brownsville (NYC) in 1968, which
followed closely upon the '67 war . An SDSer at the time (and a college kid who
didn't know all that much), I supported
the "black community" against the strikers--a position I now believe to have
been wrong. Upon subsequent reading, I
concluded that the Rockefeller Foundation, under McGeorge Bundy (remember
him?), was deliberately (and successfully)
using slogans of community control to pit blacks against unions. But, whatever
the rights and wrongs of that dispute, it did
mark a certain turning point.Jews, many of whom had previously considered
themselves not quite white, began increasingly
thereafter to think of themselves as another white ethnicity.

Jim Creegan