#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Clay Claiborne, Director
Linux Beach Productions
Venice, CA 90291
(310) 581-1536

<http://wlcentral.org/user/2965/track>

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <
marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Syria and the Left
> by Yassin Al-Haq Saleh
>
> Yassin Al Haj Saleh is one of Syria’s leading political dissidents. He
> spent from 1980-1996 in Syrian prisons and became one of the key
> intellectual voices of the 2011 Syrian uprising. He spent 21 months in
> hiding within Syria, eventually escaping to Istanbul. He was interviewed
> via email by New Politics co-editor Stephen R. Shalom in early November
> 2014.
>
> New Politics. You have written eloquently about the ongoing struggle for
> progressive values in Syria. In most Western nations, particularly in the
> United States, the left has relatively little power. What do you think the
> Western left could best do to express its solidarity with the Syrian
> revolution?
>
> Yassin Al Haj Saleh. I am afraid that it is too late for the leftists in
> the West to express any solidarity with the Syrians in their extremely hard
> struggle. What I always found astonishing in this regard is that mainstream
> Western leftists know almost nothing about Syria, its society, its regime,
> its people, its political economy, its contemporary history. Rarely have I
> found a useful piece of information or a genuinely creative idea in their
> analyses. My impression about this curious situation is that they simply do
> not see us,

This is racism. Can  we have a psychological and political discussion of
the mechnanism white people us to render colored people invisible.

The number ! problem with the US Left is racism.