#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hi,

I hear a lot of bashing on this forum against pro-Assad rhetoric. I am also
not a fan of the Syrian regime or its foreign allies. Although in my eyes,
Hezbollah continues to warrant some moral support, along with Hamas, for
their steadfastness against Israel, I am very disappointed in their
decision to assist the Syrian government in its war against Syrians. It
showed they put loyalty to a regime ahead of their loyalty to larger,
loftier principles.

But what is the alternative narrative here? Al-Akhbar is pitching the same
"It's Syria and the "Resistance" against the foreign plotters operating
with the support of the GCC, Israel, Jordan, America, ISIS, etc" narrative.
It's not a very convincing narrative unless you are a total Syrian-regime
apologist.

But what is the alternative narrative. How do we analyze what is currently
taking place in Syria, especially amid such fractured resistance, the
corruption of so many of the Syrian rebels, the rise of ISIS, so on and so
forth?

Basically, when I look at Syria...what the hell am I looking at, exactly?

These are honest questions, I'm not trying to provoke.

- Amith

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Andrew Pollack via Marxism <