#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Alexis Tsipras Should Win the SYRIZA ‘Civil War’

by Philip Chrysopoulos
The Greek Reporter
Feb 24, 2015

Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras has achieved a lot using his
charisma. He won the election, he formed a government immediately and
got to work right away. He even managed to get behind him people who
haven’t voted for him, or wouldn’t even think of voting for him. In
less than a month, he has the majority of Greeks rooting for the
negotiating team struggling to get Europe to agree with his
government’s proposals. He even got the silent approval and support of
opposition party members.

Who would have thought then, that the first guns pointed at him were
not from the opposition but from inside the SYRIZA ranks. The sharp
criticism Tsipras has received from prominent figures of the Greek
Left like Manolis Glezos and Mikis Theodorakis after Friday’s deal
with Greece’s creditors has shaken the party. A few SYRIZA MPs
followed and criticized the party leader for his stance.

SYRIZA’s emblematic MEP Manolis Glezos was the first to fire at him by
stating he apologizes to the Greek people for contributing to the
illusion that the Troika will be kicked out, the Memorandum will be
torn to pieces and austerity measures will be abolished. Far worse, he
asked for SYRIZA voters to protest and take action against the
government stance. And the language that he used belongs to student
manifestos and not to an experienced politician. For example, calling
Greece “the oppressed” and Europe “the oppressor” sounds immature at
least.

It is true that Tsipras did not keep all his election campaign
promises for the simple reason that if he had done so, Greece would
have been out of the Eurozone by now, isolated and strapped for
much-needed cash. However, one of his promises was to keep Greece in
the common currency bloc, something that swayed more voters his way
and secured the SYRIZA victory. So, no one can blame him that he
didn’t keep this one.

There was an ambivalence in people’s expectations and SYRIZA’s
pre-election pledges: you couldn’t “tear up the hated Memorandum” and
remain in the Eurozone because, simply, the Memorandum was a condition
to stay in the Eurozone. In other words, you can’t default on your
payments and at the same time ask for more loans.

Also, you cannot ask for financial aid without any obligations. You
cannot ask for solidarity when you say to those who lent you that you
refuse to pay them back, especially when you proclaim that you fight
for the good of all Europe.

Tsipras has learned a lot of valuable lessons during the first three
weeks of his administration. The Eurogroup negotiations was a crash
course in reality for him. The compromises he made – and they were
many – were indeed for the good of the Greek people. By managing to
replace the word “Troika” with “institutions” or “Memorandum” with
“agreement” has boosted the pride of Greek people, and this is no
small feat.

Tsipras has shown great maturity in the last few days. He silently
admitted to himself that the cash register is empty and no leftist
rhetoric can fill it. He measured the pros and cons of a head-on
collision with Europe and did the sensible thing: to sharply turn the
wheel. If there was ever a dilemma for him whether he should satisfy
the majority of Greek people who want to remain in the Eurozone or
SYRIZA‘s radical left platform who would prefer to see Greece
isolated, he chose to do the right thing.

As for his left-side critics, the marxist fantasies may still ring in
their ears after the election but they don’t have a solid, realistic
proposal as for what line the new government should follow. Until they
do, they should leave Tsipras alone to do the job.

<http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/02/24/alexis-tsipras-should-win-the-syriza-civil-war>

Quartz deciphers Europe’s jargon-laden plans for Greece so you don’t have to
by Tim Fernholz and Jason Karaian
Feb. 25, 2015
. . .
Now, parliaments in a handful of euro zone countries must vote to
approve the four-month extension by the end of the month, or else the
stress on the Greek financial system may lead to full collapse. Greece
still won’t receive any further aid from its lenders until it gains
final approval of its new reform packages, and judging by the above,
the country has bought itself time to make its case, not confidence.
<http://qz.com/350045/quartz-deciphers-europes-plans-for-greece-so-you-dont-have-to>

German MPs urged to take tough line on Greece

Jeevan Vasagar in Berlin
February 25, 2015

An influential German business group is urging MPs to take a tough
line on Greece ahead of a Friday vote in the Bundestag to approve an
extension to the country’s bailout.

The lower house of Germany’s parliament is broadly expected to pass
the four-month extension that eurozone finance ministers agreed with
Athens on Tuesday.

Nonetheless, Chancellor Angela Merkel could face a sizeable rebellion
within her Christian Democratic Union and its Bavarian sister party,
the Christian Social Union. If nothing else, the warnings from the
CDU’s business caucus and other conservatives reflect widespread
unease about providing additional support to a Greek government amid
doubts about its reform pledges.

In a letter to lawmakers, Kurt Lauk, president of the CDU’s Economic
Council, wrote: “A simple extension of the aid programme without
effective terms would mean that we are knowingly throwing further good
money after bad.”

The council, an association representing business interests, is a
longstanding critic of eurozone bailouts. It argues that rescues
create moral hazard for governments that mismanage their economies.

Any further aid for Greece should be made subject to successfully
implemented reform and transparent accounting, the council added. “So
long as Greece does not produce goods at a competitive rate, the
catastrophic situation will not change. Greece must drive forward the
modernisation of the economy and state institutions,” it said.

Wolfgang Schäuble, finance minister, has urged fellow CDU members to
support the extension of the rescue package, and will address
lawmakers from the Christian Social Union at a special sitting over
the Greek bailout on Wednesday.

Greece’s cash-strapped new government is counting on the extension to
unlock €7.2bn in bailout payments by June.

Germany’s ruling coalition has 504 of the 631 seats in the Bundestag,
and Ms Merkel can count on support from the Social Democrats to
comfortably push through the extension. The government has argued that
passing the proposal does not amount to a final endorsement of
Athens’s reform plans.

But the rise of the German eurosceptic party Alternative für
Deutschland has increased domestic pressure on Ms Merkel over her
eurozone strategy.

The AfD entered the European Parliament last year and has since won
seats in German regional assemblies, with exit polling showing that
the anti-euro party has won a large share of disaffected CDU voters.

A small-scale rebellion in the CDU over the Greek bailout would be a
nod to the eurosceptic portion of the electorate, analysts say.

Josef Janning, policy fellow at the European Council on Foreign
Relations, a think tank, said: “As long as there is a clear majority
[in favour], it means relatively little apart from signalling to a
segment in the German public that if they are critical of euro-rescue
policies they don’t have to vote for the AfD: there is a little
sceptical banner in the CDU.”

CDU dissidents have taken to the airwaves to make that case. In an
interview on Wednesday morning, Klaus-Peter Willsch, a CDU legislator,
said Greece’s reform plans were not specific enough to pass muster.

Mr Willsch, a familiar critic of Ms Merkel’s eurozone policies, told
Deutschlandfunk, the state broadcaster: “What we have before us [the
reform list] is mere prose. The Greek side has reissued a compilation
of adjustments they have already agreed to . . . the only numbers that
can be found in the seven-page paper are that the number of ministries
should be reduced from 16 to ten.”

Wolfgang Bosbach, a CDU legislator who voted against previous Greek
bailouts, announced after a party meeting on Tuesday that he would
oppose the measure on Friday.

David Bendels, a member of Conservative Awakening, a Bavarian lobby
group, urged members of the CSU to reject the extension proposal. He
told the online edition of Handelsblatt, the business daily: “Anything
else would be gross negligence and betrayal of the German taxpayers.”

Mr Bendels said the Greek government was performing “cheap conjuring
tricks” rather than planning to implement serious reform.

The reaction in the German press to the Greek reform plans has been
broadly favourable, however. In an editorial, Frankfurter Allgemeine
Zeitung, the conservative broadsheet, said: “What is noticeable is
what is missing from the list of proposals — no mention of debt
haircuts, election slogans or the immediate raising of the minimum
wage.

"The softening language of the Athens government shows that it has
become realistic and avoids confrontations that they can only lose.”

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/fd51e310-bcd8-11e4-a917-00144feab7de.html