#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Sometime in the 1980s I either read or read about a book that examined the wastefulness of capitalism, not about the environment but for example the existence of industries for which there is really no need, like advertising, public relations, corporate law, etc. Plus, the duplication of so many financial services that could be dispensed from a single source; the existence of competing products that are identical except for the packaging (aspirin, detergent, etc.)

The book I am looking for is very specifically related to this so ones that it sounds close to are not really relevant to my needs (like "The Affluent Society", for example.)