#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> On 25 May 2015, at 4:20 AM, Joseph Catron via Marxism
> <marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> And I mean the common leftist euphemism for black people, not the
> theoretical electromagnetic devices.
>
> Does anyone know the backstory of this odd wording: when and where it
> started, what the point was supposed to be, etc.?

I stand to be corrected, but I think the current usage traces most directly to
Sander Gilman’s 1985 "Black bodies, white bodies: toward an iconography of
female sexuality in late 19th-century art, medicine, and literature”
(http://www.jstor.org/stable/1343468 <http://www.jstor.org/stable/1343468>).
Gilman hardly uses the phrase beyond the title, but the paper (and the phrase)
became much more widely known through bell hooks’ reference to it in one
chapter of her 1992 book, “Black Looks: Race and Representation”
(http://www.amazon.com/Black-Looks-Representation-Bell-Hooks/dp/0896084337
<http://www.amazon.com/Black-Looks-Representation-Bell-Hooks/dp/0896084337>):

“Representations of black female bodies in contemporary popular culture rarely
subvert or critique images of black female sexuality which were part of the
cultural apparatus of 19th-century racism and which still shape perceptions
today. Sander Gilman's essay, "Black Bodies, .' White Bodies: Toward an
Iconography of Female Sexuality in Late Nineteenth-Century Art, Medicine, and
Literature," calls attention to the way black presence in early North American
society allowed whites to sexualize their world by projecting onto black bodies
a narrative of sexualization disassociated from whiteness. Gilman documents the
development of this image, commenting that "by the eighteenth cen- tury, the
sexuality of the black, male and female, becomes an icon for deviant
sexuality." He emphasizes that it is the black female body that is forced to
serve as "an icon for black sexuality in general.”

The phrase had been used much earlier, but with a very different (although
horrifically related) meaning, e.g.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnlTHvJBeP0
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnlTHvJBeP0>