#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

This piece by Leo Panitch offers some awfully convoluted reasoning to explain
why what looks like a capitulation is really brilliant strategy. Perhaps Leo
has had one too many years in academe, writing long and sometimes long-winded
articles. No doubt I am biased, but can anything be more boring and
brain-numbing than the writings of an academic political scientist. Well, maybe
those of an academic economist. Too clever by half, as they say. Richard
Seymour's piece on Lenin's Tomb is just a whole lot better, with
straightforward arguments, clearly written. And let me add that there are
plenty of Greek commentators, including pretty good economists, who would agree
with Seymour's arguments. It isn't just the sectarian left saying these things.
And as Marv Gandall argued, if there is no alternative, why ever do anything at
all. Why have optimism of the will, why write anything, why care. Just live for
yourself, today and every day. Yesterday, I read something that really floored
me. So
 meone said, after wondering what Syriza's critics could have expected it to do
in the face of such powerful adversaries: "the fucking Germans, man."
Unbelievable. What is the difference between this and saying, "those fucking
slaveowners, man." "those fucking Nazis, man." "that fucking Henry Ford, man."
I don't have many years left, so what follows should be taken with that in
mind. But if I were a Greek pensioner, trying to live and support others on a
miserably low (and soon to be lower if Tsipras has his way) retirement income,
I would be inclined to try to live by the words of Emiliano Zapata, "Better to
die on your feet than to live on your knees."
It is remarkable, when one gets invested in something, how easy it is to make
excuses, to turn shit into honey, to make apologies for anything, to even
forget what one said just the week before.