#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

My thoughts on this matter come from my experience working on Jesse
Jackson's 1988 Presidential campaign.  Any publicly-aired criticism made by
a white person of any African-American only caused the African-American
community to band together around the target.  It didn't matter whether the
criticism was correct or not; it was going to be dismissed as arrogant and
presumptuous.

I found that the best way for someone like myself to be productive in such
an environment was to be humble, be quiet, and hope for the best. If you
think that makes me obtuse, fine.  Your mileage may vary.