#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hi folks,

as usual we have been very busy at the blog.

Our biggest new piece is one offered to us by a fellow blogger about his
experiences as a worker in the modern NZ office; in his case he was doing
data processing.  It's a fascinating tale of alienation and employer
mechanisms of control in offices across twenty-first century NZ.
Read it at:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/08/27/diary-of-an-office-worker-2/

Last Sunday, Q&A dragged has-been Don Brash out of the cobwebs to tell us
that low productivity growth in NZ is the fault of too many people coming
into the country.  He seemed mystified that the economic reforms of the
late 80s and early 90s hadn't produced the results they were supposed to.
Instead of drawing the logical conclusion that there must therefore be
something wrong with his theory, he trawled around for a scapegoat.
The real reason for  sluggish productivity growth, we suggest, is that
employers are relying so much on making workers work harder, faster,
longer, rather than investing on the level required in new plant,
technology, machinery and R&D.
See:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/the-ridiculousness-of-don-brash-on-immigration-and-low-productivity-growth/

Mike Roberts look at the new wave of turmoil in global markets:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/yet-more-market-turmoil/

Philip Ferguson looks at the anti-Chinese racism of the early NZ Labour
Party and the infatuation of people like Michael Joseph Savage with 'racial
purity: 'https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/08/24/labours-racist-roots-2/

We also look at the problem of blaming 'bad banks' for our woes, when the
problem is actually in the productive economy itself:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/08/23/from-the-vaults-bad-banks-or-bad-capitalism/

Another article suggests that it is long since time that we had a campaign
to get unions to disaffiliate from the anti-worker Labour Party and started
to build a new movement of, for and by workers:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/12932/

There has been quite an interesting discussion in the comments section for
the article on disaffiliation; you might be interested in joining in the
discussion.

We've also had over 500 views on the piece on how the 'left' in the
Australian Labor Party essentially simply services the right.  If you
haven't already looked at this article you might take a look:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/08/21/how-the-left-in-the-australian-labor-party-services-the-right/

And for a take on the role of lefts in Labour parties in general, see:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/08/21/labour-parties-and-their-left-oppositions/

Lastly, in the month that has marked the70th anniversary of the atomic bomb
being dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, folks might be interested in
reading about wartime opposition to the dicatorship in Japan:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/08/21/wartime-resistance-in-imperial-japan/

All the best,
Philip Ferguson
for the Redline blog collective

PS: Please do think about leaving comments in the comments section under
any articles that particularly interest you.