#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I am enjoying this exchange.  It makes such a break from Australian
politics, where one has to believe in the Way (Nothing is weaker than
water.  For wearing away stone, nothing is stronger.) to get any comfort
from the quietism that has the Australian working class by the throat.

Now as I see it, John was reacting to a news story of a possible threat
within the British Army to the advent of Corbyn and the possibility of him
becoming Prime Minister. John takes the threat seriously and I think one
would be a fool to discount it absolutely.  But the significance of the
threat is, for me, the underlying fear that it expresses.  If Corbyn was
truly unelectable there would be no such fear and no subsequent threats.

James will forgive me for saying this, but he sounds a trifle "tired and
emotional" as *Private Eye* used to put it.  Still, I am grateful for the
figure of the chiasmus that he has given us.  The PLP is faced with two
kinds of unelectability - with Corbyn and without Corbyn. But we should not
the aesthetic power of this formula to distract us from seeing that Corbyn
is of course electable, and all the hysteria around him is testimony to
that.  He simply has to get the millions who won't vote to vote.  I say
'simply' not to convey that the task is easy, rather that it is clear and
that makes it possible: hence the hysteria in the  media and the mutterings
among the officer class.

In the mean time, the media will do their thing and their offensive will
strengthen Corbyn.  Down in the pubs in Tottenham, they may have a
different take on things, as James points out, but the thousands who voted
for Corbyn will see all the attacks as a justification of what they did.
The UK will polarize further and the Blairites will make their move. But
should they do so, they risk destroying the British Labour Party, one of
the ruling class's prime assets.

I will not try to speculate further, except to point out that the Corbyn
push is creating movement and potential and is putting an end to the
suffocation of the dialectics of stagnation.  That is why I am all for it.

My own metaphor to describe what is happening is drawn from my experience
as a classroom teacher.  In a class of say 30, if ten of them were totally
opposed to all I as a teacher stood for, the class would be unteachable.
Moreover, the possibility of a significant number joining the rebellious
ten would make me hysterical with fear.

comradely

Gary