#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Wow, what a terrible article by a cheap hack whose husband and family
members are arch-Zionists. Isabel Kershner's son serves in the Israeli army
and her husband is a pro-Israel propagandist:
http://mondoweiss.net/2014/02/relationship-fairness-reporting

The entire article wastes space on the opinions of various Israelis,
turning the discussion about atrocities against Palestinians into an
internal discussion among Israel's increasingly right-wing society, in
which any attempt to hold the Israeli army to account for its atrocities is
seen as a threat. The "positive" side of Breaking the Silence is apparently
that they're "strengthening" the regime that is slaughtering people? And
the "criticisms" of Israel's conduct are limited to a few security
restrictions? Anyone who has read a BTS report knows that they reveal far
more harrowing conduct than Kershner's whitewashed portrayal of Israeli
aggression:

https://theintercept.com/2015/05/04/samples-israeli-horrific-brutality-war-criminality-gaza/

Instead we are told only that the group makes some ambiguous criticisms of
the army, whose conduct is unclear and therefore easy to portray as
innocent; and that the Israeli population is super-scared of small kids
with knives living in places that Israel is invading and destroying in the
first place. We are also told -- without any response -- that funding for
the group from European states, most of which continue to have normalized
relations with Israel, is some kind of threat to Israel's sovereignty. An
absurd suggestion about a state whose entire existence is based on wiping
out another population with support from Israel.

If Palestinians counted as people in Kershner's eyes, the notion of Israel
complaining about violations of sovereignty -- let alone over something as
small as foreign funding for liberal NGOs -- would be laughable, the
content of BTS reports would be accurately portrayed, and the regime that
is slaughtering people would not be given such an uncritical opportunity to
whitewash its massacres. But then again, I guess that would be expecting
too much from the New York Times.

- Amith

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <