#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 1/7/16 7:38 PM, Saman Sepehri via Marxism wrote:

Thanks Louis for the piece. We lost Charlie Haden a year and half ago-
beginning of summer, 2014. Charlie and the Liberation Music Orchestra. Bley,
Haden, Motian....a generation which time is letting slip through its fingers.
Thanks for remembering.
S.

This comment just showed up on my blog.

Totally agree on Sonny Meets Hawk. That's my favorite of Sonny's recordings from the '60s, and Bley's comping is a big part of what makes it so great. Sonny was playing his craziest shit at peak of his craziest period, I think to challenge Hawk to play something akin to the crazy shit on his earliest recordings, like the ones with Bessie, but Bley seemed able to catch any bizarre note Sonny might play and immediately come up with the perfect chord to fit it. Just a wonderful record.